Pages

Friday 5 September 2014

Sorrow, Smiles, Sarcasm and Stout

Seeking shelter in the sweetly sad
songs of my ancestors,
Where things are tuned
and toned down
as I've ever been.

After the hundredth time I rejected a set up,
a friend asked me:
"What even makes you happy?"
And I had no answer
But a blank stupid stare.
"You need some joy in your life!"
And I couldn't argue there.
"You need someone to help you
act your age. Be young for once."
But I've been old
Since I've been at all,
So I shrugged.

I've never wanted this.
I'm so tired of being tired.
I don't want to remember,
Or recall,
with every thing I do.

Like

After some off-colour silliness,
another friend said:
"You're so wonderful,
you'll find someone to love you
and make you as happy as you make us."
And with no shame I replied. "I did."
I saw, in her eyes,
her heart break for me,
despite the petty insignificance of my life
compared to her trials.
And her hug was the best one I've had in a long while.

I see that face still
Burned in the back of my eyelids
The light after the dark
Floating in the aether
of a sanity severed

Questioning myself
Calling my own bluffs and obsession
Reaching, in a dream, like a joke, for a dead past
I wake and fake a solace in false confession.

I hand out advice I can't take
And break and wither
I have become rot

Comparing falsehood
to a drifting now
You are the last
If ever there was a first
Or has it always been a lie?
Have these feelings always been a bad joke?
A pun of psychology and biology,
while the robot rusts.

A few years and change of sunlight and silver lining
and then the dark skies returned.
Well, it does feel like home.
Was I just two faced,
living two lives?
Goddamn me for a hypocrite.

Aw fuck it,
You gotta take what you can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment